Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elegoo mars prints a big block
Hello everybody
First of all, sorry for my english, i’m doing my best.
I own an elegoo mars (not 2 nor pro)
I’m experiencing an issue. I’ve tried to print a model, which has already been printed succesfully at a smaller size. And during the process, the lcd screen seems to not work correctly, i mean it’s totally clear and the uv cures the total surface of the screen.
I’ve tried to print another smaller model, it works correctly. 
I wondered if the screen stops working correctly after several hours, but i should have at least a little bit of the model printed. Here I only have the small columns supports and then those big layers?
Does anyone knows that type of troubleshooting? Software, hardware, or the 3d model?
Thanks
Another dead LCD ?
^^^This...

How many hours of printing on the machine? The LCD only lasts 250 to 300 hours--the UV light "wears" it out by damaging the "liquid" component of the Liquid Crystal Display. This happens on all LCD shutter 3D printers.
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com
Here’s a picture

(01-15-2022, 07:05 PM)cliffyk Wrote: ^^^This... 

How many hours of printing on the machine? The LCD only lasts 250 to 300 hours--the UV light "wears" it out by damaging the "liquid" component of the Liquid Crystal Display. This happens on all LCD shutter 3D printers.
Hi, I don’t know how much time it was used, it’s a second hand machine, I’m a total newbie and don’t know if i can check the number of hours it has been working using the menu.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(01-16-2022, 03:05 AM)evorgnam Wrote: Here’s a picture

(01-15-2022, 07:05 PM)cliffyk Wrote: ^^^This... 

Hi, I don’t know how much time it was used, it’s a second hand machine, I’m a total newbie and don’t know if i can check the number of hours it has been working using the menu.

Unfortunately The machine has no usage accumulator, would be neat if it did, though they probably do not wish to highlight the relatively short life of the LCD shutter (it is warranted for just 3 months).

However in your case it appears the LCD is not blocking the UV light at all, still indicating a bad LCD, but not a "worn out" one. A worn LCD produces dark spots leading to incomplete prints and holes in prints.

While I am not one to just "throw parts" at a problem, a new LCD is not that expensive ($30 or less on Amazon) and could in this case be considered a diagnostic tool to determine if there is a problem beyond the screen itself (motherboard/wiring/etc.).

What software did you use to enlarge and slice the model? I ask because I have found Chitubox v1.9.0 to occasionally produce all sorts of anomalies when performing more complex manipulations. Have you tried re-building the sliced file?
-cliff knight-
paladinmicro.com
Hi.
I used the chitubox software to increase directly the size of the model, using the scale option.
I’ll try to use the modeler software the next time (skp) and will tell you if it affects the process.
I suppose it won’t  because the first models I made were scaled via chitubox too and printed correctly. Then if it still doesn’t work properly i’ll change the lcd glass.
A professional told me about the elegoo software update but unfortunately i didn’t find the files and wasn’t able to tell what motherboard it was. Furthermore I don’t wann make a mistake and « sofwarely » break the motherboard.
Thanks for the answers
What version of Chitubox? This is important as they all have certain combinations of features and bugs...

Here is how to tell the motherboards apart visually:

[Image: Motherboards-101.jpg]

You can download the firmware here (https://www.elegoo.com/pages/3d-printing-user-support).
-cliff knight-
paladinmicro.com
Hi everybody, give you some news.
I've changed the LCD screen by a brand new one. Because the first one didn't seem to be really clean and as you told me was supposed to last for only 300hrs.
So after having replaced the old one I've tried to simulate the printing of a simple model (vertical tube, 1cm diameter). When I'm saying "simulate" I mean just launching the print without the resin.
Unfortunately, after about 10% I've had the same result.
So next step is upgrade the firmware, just hope I won't make a mistake.
Keep in touch.
Hi guys, hope you're doing well.
Finally found the cause of the issue.
After having changed the LCD screen, updated the firmware, re-installed chitubox sevral times, changed the usb key, rectified the 3D model, I finally figured out that it was the version of Chitubox that was bugged.
After having downloaded the new version of the software, everything's back in order.
Hope it will help for those who encounter the same problem.
Best regards.