Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bonding Parts
Greetings!

Has anyone tried bonding resin printed parts with an acrylic solvent "adhesive" like Weldon or Sci-Grip?  Is there a better option?  Or are people just not printing multi-piece items requiring adhesive assembly?

I have a model that is designed to be printed in two pieces without supports, then glued together.  While I could be redesigned to print in one piece, printing in two keeps the exposed surfaces clean.

I have used Weldon/Sci-Grip 3 in working with cast acrylic sheets.  So, I am familiar with handling, etc.  I have some of the 3 and the 16 on-hand.

This might be different for different resins.  I am currently using some Siraya Tech Blu.
(10-25-2019, 01:42 PM)evermorian Wrote: Greetings!

Has anyone tried bonding resin printed parts with an acrylic solvent "adhesive" like Weldon or Sci-Grip?  Is there a better option?  Or are people just not printing multi-piece items requiring adhesive assembly?

I have a model that is designed to be printed in two pieces without supports, then glued together.  While I could be redesigned to print in one piece, printing in two keeps the exposed surfaces clean.

I have used Weldon/Sci-Grip 3 in working with cast acrylic sheets.  So, I am familiar with handling, etc.  I have some of the 3 and the 16 on-hand.

This might be different for different resins.  I am currently using some Siraya Tech Blu.

Maybe you could just use some of the print resin as a bonding agent.  You would need to cure it, so whether or not this is possible would depend on how thick the part is and if you can reach the bond line with the UV light.  At least the color would be the same if it works.
I did a couple experiments. Using a paintbrush to apply a thin layer of uncured resin and, clamping together before curing the piece worked very well.  The bonds were solid and, I was not able to separate them applying force with just my hands.  Note that I am using a translucent resin.  So, that may matter as far as the whole surface being able to cure well.

The Sci-Grip 4 did adhere my test pieces but, they were trivially easy to separate by hand.
I see posts on FB about people using resin to attach parts and have great results, just like your test Smile
(11-02-2019, 11:10 AM)evermorian Wrote: I did a couple experiments. Using a paintbrush to apply a thin layer of uncured resin and, clamping together before curing the piece worked very well.  The bonds were solid and, I was not able to separate them applying force with just my hands.  Note that I am using a translucent resin.  So, that may matter as far as the whole surface being able to cure well.

The Sci-Grip 4 did adhere my test pieces but, they were trivially easy to separate by hand.

Till now I used a glue for everything, it's literally called everything glue! It worked pretty well when it has been dried... Since I also use clear resin I will give it a try! Thx

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(11-19-2019, 05:36 AM)MistaBreed Wrote:
(11-02-2019, 11:10 AM)evermorian Wrote: I did a couple experiments. Using a paintbrush to apply a thin layer of uncured resin and, clamping together before curing the piece worked very well.  The bonds were solid and, I was not able to separate them applying force with just my hands.  Note that I am using a translucent resin.  So, that may matter as far as the whole surface being able to cure well.

Till now I used a glue for everything, it's literally called everything glue! It worked pretty well when it has been dried... Since I also use clear resin I will give it a try! Thx
I don't think it has to be clear resin.  I am currently printing multiple copies of a model in which one corner separates.  I paint a little of the same resin (currently white) on the joint, clamp it and cure it.  It works great.
(11-19-2019, 08:07 AM)PolkCountyMike Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 05:36 AM)MistaBreed Wrote:

I don't think it has to be clear resin.  I am currently printing multiple copies of a model in which one corner separates.  I paint a little of the same resin (currently white) on the joint, clamp it and cure it.  It works great.

Yeah, I didn't think of "It only works with clear resin!" I wanted to say due to the transparency it is easier to cure that. Of course it will work with other resins too... THX
„Jump from planes!“ Some ask me: „Why?“
Yet words convey such weak reply.
Amongst the clouds in big blue sky,
the only place true answers lie.

Thomas *1980  +not today