Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to loosen build plate levelling screws
Hi,

I need to level my build plate, but I'm having trouble with the hex screws. I've been able to loosen the front hex screw, but I'm unable to loosen the side hex screw - the hex wrench just slips, and I'm concerned if I try much more I'll damage the hex slot too much. Any ideas how to loosen it? 

What is the smaller hex screw at the back used for?

I hope someone can help

WYGIGS
first the "positive": the screw in the back will hold the "globe" of the head, to protect it , falling down after loosen the two hex
and now the "bad": slipping wrench in the hex screw is a big problem. some guys used an "unscrew-tool" to remove it - seen on YT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrWymPswV6s -
after that, you have to repair the thread.
here in the forum are some threads about - please try the search engine
any progress with the screws?
Thumbs Down 
(05-09-2020, 02:18 AM)fromFDMtoSLA Wrote: any progress with the screws?
Unfortunately, not yet. Sorry I haven't replied before, but I wanted something to actually say!

So, I decided to try this tool on ebay called a Damaged Distorted Hex Allen Key Bolt Screw Extractor, and I was hopeful this would do the job without damaging the thread. Due to coronavirus, it only arrived yesterday, but when I tried it, the black housing prevents the tool getting in far enough, so that's a fail!

I think I've decided to leave it for now, as I know some engineers who will no doubt rise to the challenge, but difficult to arrange during lock-down. Hopefully another 4 weeks and we'll have more freedom.

I like the idea of replacing the hex screws with bolts as per the video as this will prevent the issue happening again. Perhaps it should of been designed like that in the first place, even if it does look a little ugly.

I'll update when I have more news
Hi

I had the same issue
I used a microscrewdrive with a slightly differnt sized hex nit and now works perfectly
the original hex spanner still slips when I use it but my microscrewdriver works fine.
so like me its likely the problem is more to do with poor alignment of the hex screw and the hex spanner that is provided!
Here in the US Amazon sells a complete new platen assembly for $23--might be a similar deal "over there"...
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com