Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manual Z has no max limit
When using the manual Z height movement I don't seem to have a max Z limit.  The printer will happily go from home to hitting the gantry if I am using the manual controls.

I recently ran an updated config gcode to disable the fan when not printing. I used the file from my elegoo but it was the same as the one on my USB. 

I only changed M8030 I-2.  I'm using GitHub to track my changes here https://github.com/themaninthesuitcase/E...200de66e4f

I am not sure if this was caused by the gcode update, but as far as I understood I should only be able to go to the Z limit of 155mm.
Yes, that seems to be the case; even "dead stock" just out-of-the-box you can manually raise the Z-axis "through the roof". It should stop properly at the end of a print though...
I suppose that's not that uncommon, my FDM is the same if I think about it. Just wanted to check that I'd not got a setting wrong in the gcode file.
There is no detector at the top of the z axis only on the bottom where it needs to zero. The horrid buzz you hear is from inside the stepper motor, it does not do any harm, but sounds bad. Most if not all 3D printers only have one end stop sensor per axis.
It is compounded by the Mars because you can press the up button many times and it will continue trying to move regardless of where it is until all the moves are complete or you hit the stop button.
(07-20-2020, 05:15 AM)Umpa Wrote: There is no detector at the top of the z axis only on the bottom where it needs to zero. The horrid buzz you hear is from inside the stepper motor, it does not do any harm, but sounds bad.  Most if not all 3D printers only have one end stop sensor per axis. 
It is compounded by the Mars because you can press the up button many times and it will continue trying to move regardless of where it is until all the moves are complete or you hit the stop button.
For some reason I was expecting a soft upper Z stop (ie where the machine thinks 0 is + 150/170 as set).  Not sure why as my FDM machine doesn't have one.
The Z-axis maximum position set in the motherboard software configuration is only honored when a G-Code file is being printed, and a G-Code "G1 Znn", "G0 Znn", or "G 28 Znn" command (where "nn" is the target Z-axis position) is encountered.

The manual controls are just that--manual controls.

IF you do runn the Z-axis up against a stop causing the stepper motor to "cog", you should perform the mechanical realignment process--loosening the platen lock screws, etc.--as with no direct feedback (no upper limit switch) the firmware will still "think" the platen moved.
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com