Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not printing
Just got my Mars printer and the print on the Rook went just fine, but now it won't print other objects. It goes through the motions, I've done my best to watch and make sure the files are correct, the display screen displays the slices, but nothing is getting made. Please help.
If it's displaying fine, then you usually have resin on the bottom of your FEP that is absorbing the UV light, blocking it from reaching the plate.
(06-05-2020, 11:26 AM)zemerick Wrote: If it's displaying fine, then you usually have resin on the bottom of your FEP that is absorbing the UV light, blocking it from reaching the plate.

So you saying the 1/3 amount of resin recommended is blocking the UV light? Does the UV light automatically come on when the printing is started? I have attempted 11 prints and so far have 100% failure rate. I have followed the 'instructions manual' over and over, read forum posts, watched videos, and still nothing prints. If it is because the light cannot get through the resin they send that is not my issue. 

RETURN TIME
(07-13-2020, 11:09 AM)fieldsg22 Wrote:
(06-05-2020, 11:26 AM)zemerick Wrote: If it's displaying fine, then you usually have resin on the bottom of your FEP that is absorbing the UV light, blocking it from reaching the plate.

So you saying the 1/3 amount of resin recommended is blocking the UV light? Does the UV light automatically come on when the printing is started? I have attempted 11 prints and so far have 100% failure rate. I have followed the 'instructions manual' over and over, read forum posts, watched videos, and still nothing prints. If it is because the light cannot get through the resin they send that is not my issue. 

RETURN TIME

I'm not entirely sure what you are saying or asking.

When you print, the arm will lower the place to 0.05mm above the FEP. The LCD will then change to display the new layer mask. Then the LED comes on, shining light up through the mask, glass cover, the FEP and into the resin. This is where the resin absorbs the light and cures. However, if you have leftover bits of resin on the FEP, or spilled resin between the FEP and glass, it will absorb the light instead of letting it through to where the print is supposed to be. If you have a failure, you need to remove the failed bits off of the FEP. If you have a leak or spill, you need to clean off the glass cover and underside of the FEP. The resin has to absorb the light, that's exactly how it works.

Other common issues are not keeping the resin at the appropriate temperature ( typically around 20-25c, or 70-80f ) or not properly mixing ( the resin is a mixture of ingredients, so they can settle out until you mix them back together. )

If the light is coming on, the LCD mask is displaying, the arm is freely moving up and down, and the plate is locked in position, then the printer itself is fine. It's actually an extremely simple machine.
(07-13-2020, 11:59 AM)zemerick Wrote:

RETURN TIME

...It's actually an extremely simple machine.

Yes!  That's why they can be sold for just $220 (with "free" shipping¹) to a half-a-world away from where they are made. Delightful to see someone acknowledge it...

--------------------------------------
¹ - The shipping is of course not actually free, packaging and shipping costs (both China -> US and warehouse -> end consumer) are rolled into the item's selling price; making the printer's actual cost more in the $180 range. I would be very surprised to find it costs Elegoo mote than $65 to $70 to actually make one of these--probably less.
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com

RETURN TIME

When you print, the arm will lower the place to 0.05mm above the FEP. The LCD will then change to display the new layer mask. Then the LED comes on, shining light up through the mask, glass cover, the FEP and into the resin. This is where the resin absorbs the light and cures. However, if you have leftover bits of resin on the FEP, or spilled resin between the FEP and glass, it will absorb the light instead of letting it through to where the print is supposed to be. If you have a failure, you need to remove the failed bits off of the FEP. If you have a leak or spill, you need to clean off the glass cover and underside of the FEP. The resin has to absorb the light, that's exactly how it works.

Other common issues are not keeping the resin at the appropriate temperature ( typically around 20-25c, or 70-80f ) or not properly mixing ( the resin is a mixture of ingredients, so they can settle out until you mix them back together. )

If the light is coming on, the LCD mask is displaying, the arm is freely moving up and down, and the plate is locked in position, then the printer itself is fine. It's actually an extremely simple machine.
Agree it is simple. So, I must have a lemon because I have printed nothing with this new printer in 2 days of trying and trying
(07-13-2020, 01:22 PM)fieldsg22 Wrote:

RETURN TIME

Agree it is simple. So, I must have a lemon because I have printed nothing with this new printer in 2 days of trying and trying

You said it was displaying though, so it wouldn't be the machine then, unless you haven't mentioned something that is wrong. We really need more specific details to help you any, including whether to contact support. ( Thankfully Elegoo is actually pretty good if it does come down to that. )
(07-13-2020, 01:26 PM)zemerick Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 01:22 PM)fieldsg22 Wrote:

RETURN TIME

You said it was displaying though, so it wouldn't be the machine then, unless you haven't mentioned something that is wrong. We really need more specific details to help you any, including whether to contact support. ( Thankfully Elegoo is actually pretty good if it does come down to that. )
...I don't see anything new in that post, it just quotes me.
You stated in your initial post "the display screen displays the slices, but nothing is getting made." Am I correct in interpreting this as meaning the display at the front of the printer is showing the slices?

If so that is nice but what is more relevant is whether the LCD shutter is displaying the slices.

Try this test: Remove the resin VAT, place a sheet of paper over the LCD and attempt to "print" a model in the normal manner.

Does the UV lamp come on and does the LCD display the slices, if not he printer is defective, if it does then your resin is bad.

If the slices are displayed by the LCD, and the UV lamp comes on, and the resin can be cured, and the z-axis moves as it should; then it HAS to print...
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com