Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Is this normal on a print?
I had just noticed this after one of my prints finished last night that I am able to see these layers on the surface of my models.. this one is a bust about 5cm tall, was printed at 0.05 layer height at 7s

The rest of the model looks fantastic, the face is clear and smooth.. but as per seen in the image, I see these layers. I checked my other models that I had printer previously and they all too have this effect on certain areas. This is shown on the face down side of the model whereas the supports are on the opposite side.. so this side is what comes out of the vat last I guess?

What puzzles me about these layer lines is that they do not appear to be on a simple plane.. if you look at the #2 image on the chest and then to the shoulder, the angle is different.. or at least that's how I'm seeing it? 

When holding the model in your hand and looking with the naked eye (or my old eyes I guess) the model looks and feels smooth.. it wasn't until I took the pic with my iPhone and went to edit the image that I saw these lines..

I could change the print height to smaller and therefor hugely increase my print time.. or is there another alternative or solution?

Any one have any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

In my experience that is normal, I believe it is caused by the UV light being dispersed ("bleeding") through and throughout uncured and freshly cured resin--try playing about with curing times (lessening) to see if you can minimize it.
(07-05-2020, 07:32 PM)cliffyk Wrote: In my experience that is normal, I believe it is caused by the UV light being dispersed ("bleeding") through and throughout uncured and freshly cured resin--try playing about with curing times (lessening) to see if you can minimize it.

Thanks for that, I'll give it a try.

I did a flat validation test before where 7s exposure gave me the crispest and cleanest lines and edges, maybe too much then?

These lines do disappear with a coat of primer and a coat of paint when all is said and done..

Cheers