Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not sure how to describe issue I'm having
Hello, new to 3d printing, vocabulary is lacking, please help me...

I've had my printer for about 3 months now and it seems like if I try to print more than 3 objects at once, the image is displayed on the LCD for perhaps 1 second, then goes for black.  I can print the single object, 2 or 3, but more and this happens.  I also notice that if I attempt to print a greek temple (the parthenon to be specific) once it gets to the layers with all the pillars  instead of the solid foundation the same thing is happening. Or if I print something with a raft, the raft prints fine, but when it gets to the supports it happens... is there some sort of limitation to the number of individual supports/pillars/objects that the LCD screen can display in 1 exposure layer?

Is this normal?

I've read through the forum some (there are a lot of posts) and so far haven't seen any posts related to this, not even sure what to search for to find a similar issue.

I appreciate any assistance offered, sorry for my inexperience/terminology....
Keep in mind that the screen (and LCD shutter) are displaying individual layers (slices) of your model--not an aggregation of previously printed layers.
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com
(07-19-2020, 03:27 PM)cliffyk Wrote: Keep in mind that the screen (and LCD shutter) are displaying individual layers (slices) of your model--not an aggregation of previously printed layers.

I understand that...  I think it has to do with the anti-alias setting... Again, I just don't know how to describe what I'm talking about so that others can follow... I read a different post about the anti-aliasing setting and file size gave me an idea. Early on I wasn't even aware of the anti-alias settings as I was totally green.  I set it to 8 thinking it would make my prints better, in hindsight it seems this is about when I started noticing this issue. So, I'm going to try slicing and printing it with all 4 settings (off, 2, 4 and 8) and see if I can figure it out.

if you can imagine the layers of a print of the parthenon, the first several layers are solid rectangles (foundation of the building), but when it gets to the first layer above the foundation there are pillars so the image looks like a bunch of circles (1 for each pillar) and a bunch of rectangles (1 for each rectangular shaped ruin), etc, instead of 1 solid rectangle, this is where the trouble starts...

It very well could be related to chitubox as well, I'm just trying to figure out where the issue is...

The size of the file doubles for each level of anti-aliasing as follows:

off: 21 mb
2: 42 mb
4: 85 mb
8: 170 mb

These are approximate as I don't feel the need to type it all out lol.

As everyone knows it takes forever to print, so I was trying to save some time and see if anyone had already seen an issue like this and save me time/resin...
(07-19-2020, 03:46 PM)Mikethompson17.mt@gmail.com Wrote:
(07-19-2020, 03:27 PM)cliffyk Wrote: Keep in mind that the screen (and LCD shutter) are displaying individual layers (slices) of your model--not an aggregation of previously printed layers.

I understand that...  I think it has to do with the anti-alias setting... Again, I just don't know how to describe what I'm talking about so that others can follow... I read a different post about the anti-aliasing setting and file size gave me an idea. Early on I wasn't even aware of the anti-alias settings as I was totally green.  I set it to 8 thinking it would make my prints better, in hindsight it seems this is about when I started noticing this issue. So, I'm going to try slicing and printing it with all 4 settings (off, 2, 4 and 8) and see if I can figure it out.

if you can imagine the layers of a print of the parthenon, the first several layers are solid rectangles (foundation of the building), but when it gets to the first layer above the foundation there are pillars so the image looks like a bunch of circles (1 for each pillar) and a bunch of rectangles (1 for each rectangular shaped ruin), etc, instead of 1 solid rectangle, this is where the trouble starts...

It very well could be related to chitubox as well, I'm just trying to figure out where the issue is...

The size of the file doubles for each level of anti-aliasing as follows:

off: 21 mb
2: 42 mb
4: 85 mb
8: 170 mb

These are approximate as I don't feel the need to type it all out lol.

As everyone knows it takes forever to print, so I was trying to save some time and see if anyone had already seen an issue like this and save me time/resin...

I have read your post several times and I am not sure what the problem is !  Or even what you are getting at TBF. 
I presume the print comes out ok, and all your saying is the picture on the screen showing the layer being printed looks funny ? - if so this is totally normal and I see the same thing.
some pictures would be helpfull, to locate the problem
(07-20-2020, 05:03 AM)Umpa Wrote: I have read your post several times and I am not sure what the problem is !  Or even what you are getting at TBF. 
I presume the print comes out ok, and all your saying is the picture on the screen showing the layer being printed looks funny ? - if so this is totally normal and I see the same thing.

That's where my interpretation of the "problem" ended up. The slice image on the UI screen is just to give we humans a "warm and fuzzy"feeling--it's the one on the LCD shutter that matters.

I never noted any discrepancy 'tween the two, however I was not looking for one either...
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com