Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
partial prints
I'm pretty new to 3D printing. My Elegoo Mars printer did great right out of the box. I was printing daily for about 2 or 3 months. Now I can't consistently get anything to completely print. I have recently updated CHITUBOX V1.6.5 and that didn't help the problem. I've thoroughly cleaned the LCD screen, cleaned the resin vat, and cleaned and lubed the Z axis worm screw. I have used a brand new resin vat, with fresh resin and I am still having the same problem. I am using the same files (before the Chitubox V1.6.5 update) but now I can't get a complete print. I know there is a firmware update but I am reluctant to try it as I have read some bad press on it.

Here's something even more confusing. I printed 3 of the same model at the same time - all were enlarged - 200% (left side of build plate), 300% (middle of plate), 250% (right side). Only the 300% model printed completely and it was in the middle. I am using skates with supports. The 200% & 250% models printed about 1/2 way, then stuck to the bottom of the resin vat. Any thoughts or suggestions? 

One last thing,
When I start a print, The build plate sits in the resin for 1-2 minutes before starting the print (no movement). Is this normal? I don't remember it doing that when it was brand new.

Thanks for any help you can give me, I am getting frustrated.
(07-26-2020, 11:36 AM)thx4824 Wrote: I'

m pretty new to 3D printing. My Elegoo Mars printer did great right out of the box. I was printing daily for about 2 or 3 months. Now I can't consistently get anything to completely print. I have recently updated CHITUBOX V1.6.5 and that didn't help the problem. I've thoroughly cleaned the LCD screen, cleaned the resin vat, and cleaned and lubed the Z axis worm screw. I have used a brand new resin vat, with fresh resin and I am still having the same problem. I am using the same files (before the Chitubox V1.6.5 update) but now I can't get a complete print. I know there is a firmware update but I am reluctant to try it as I have read some bad press on it.

Here's something even more confusing. I printed 3 of the same model at the same time - all were enlarged - 200% (left side of build plate), 300% (middle of plate), 250% (right side). Only the 300% model printed completely and it was in the middle. I am using skates with supports. The 200% & 250% models printed about 1/2 way, then stuck to the bottom of the resin vat. Any thoughts or suggestions? 

One last thing,
When I start a print, The build plate sits in the resin for 1-2 minutes before starting the print (no movement). Is this normal? I don't remember it doing that when it was brand new.
That is not normal...

Can you attach your .cbddlp or .ctb file (see mote below) to a reply, I'd like to have a look at it.

Quote:Thanks for any help you can give me, I am getting frustrated.

Note:
The newer Mars printers (s/n M14... and newer) will print sliced files in the .ctb format, this is not exclusively a MARS Pro capability. The .ctb files are considerably smaller than the .cbddlp format.

To enable this, edit the ELEGOO_MARS.cfg file found in the CHITUBOX//resource/machine folder.

change the line:
defaultSlicerExport:CHITUBOX slicer(*.cbddlp),CHITUBOX slicer(*.ctb)

to:
defaultSlicerExport:CHITUBOX slicer(*.ctb)

and save the file.
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com
Thanks for the suggestions, however I am not very tech savvy. I will try them later. 

My s/n is M18 or M19. I discovered that when I tried to install a firmware update which was older than my printer. 

All of my printable files end in cbdlllp. I have not seen .ctb files on my printer, and I haven't changed any file formats. 

I went back to the original version of CHITUBOX and I've successfully printed the Rook (test file). 
I will try slicing a file that gives me trouble with the older version of CHITUBOX and see what happens later this evening. 

Thanks again for your reply!
(07-27-2020, 07:12 AM)thx4824 Wrote: Thanks for the suggestions, however I am not very tech savvy. I will try them later. 

My s/n is M18 or M19. I discovered that when I tried to install a firmware update which was older than my printer. 

All of my printable files end in cbdlllp. I have not seen .ctb files on my printer, and I haven't changed any file formats. 

I went back to the original version of CHITUBOX and I've successfully printed the Rook (test file). 
I will try slicing a file that gives me trouble with the older version of CHITUBOX and see what happens later this evening. 

Thanks again for your reply!

I used V1.6.5 last evening to slice a "geezer friendly" cap overlay for the chlorine jugs we use for the pool (the caps provided are both child and geezer "proof", with my advanced arthritis and Parkinson's it was intensely painful and frustrating to remove the cap.

It printed fine on my "M20,..." machine, as a .ctb file:

[Image: CBoxAnjrCap-00.jpg]

I popped the real cap out of its geezer proof peripheral ring and epoxied it into this overlay (FreeCAD to the rescue once again).
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com