Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
z-limit problem, motor straining at bottom of travel
I'm having a problem with my new Elegoo Mars Pro which has occurred after just a couple of days

When the build plate reaches the bottom of its travel to start a print, the motor does not stop and is trying to push the build plate further down. It's making a groaning noise, so of course I hit the stop button when to happens 

I have tried re-setting the z=0 several times (including after leaving  machine turned off for a few hours), but the machine does not seem to accept the new home/0 position - the problem persists. 

Any suggestions?
Follow the alignment procedure in the manual's Unbox and Test section--to the letter; I.e. Do not use the "Z=0" function it is unrelated to initial setup of the printer.

See. my posts here and here for more about what "Z=0" does and when/why to use it...
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com
Another thing to test:

With the platen and tray removed, when you press the [Home] button -- [Image: AlignButtons-00.jpg] does the trolley drop , stop at a low point, then rise a bit?

If it does and you are able to perform the initial setup alignment (press down just "lightly" but "firmly" when tightening the lock screws--Do NOT perform that blasted "Z=0" function!)--and the paper spacer can still be moved about with some resistance--there is nothing wrong with the printer.
-cliff knight-
paladinmicro.com
(07-30-2020, 04:26 PM)cliffyk Wrote: Another thing to test:

With the platen and tray removed, when you press the [Home] button -- [Image: AlignButtons-00.jpg] does the trolley drop , stop at a low point, then rise a bit?

If it does and you are able to perform the initial setup alignment (press down just "lightly" but "firmly" when tightening the lock screws--Do NOT perform that blasted "Z=0" function!)--and the paper spacer can still be moved about with some resistance--there is nothing wrong with the printer.

Thanks Cliff - your first post nailed it, problem solved!

I think I may have caused the problem in the first place in re-levelling the build plate… just a couple of days in and while I can see this thing can produce great results, I'm having a little trouble with some distortion and adhesion/release issues, and that was one of the things I tried.
I had some platen adhesion problems with my newest Mars (received May 5), solved it by breaking the glaze on the platen's finish with a brief touch (just 3 or 4 seconds) of 320 grit paper in a 5" random orbit sander. Just enough to make it not glossy any more...
-cliff knight-
paladinmicro.com