Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another New Mars?
After waiting months for the Mars Pro to become available in the UK, I finally got mine four weeks ago.

I bought the Mercury curing station too.

Since then, Elegoo have announced the Saturn large printer which I would have liked but I'm happy enough with the Mars Pro.

To my dismay, Elegoo have now announced the Mars 2 Pro Monochrome printer and the Mercury Plus print wash and cure system.  Angry 

So, I've spent hundreds on a printer and cure station that is obsolete within a few weeks of it being available to buy. Yes, technology moves on but to announce a replacement within a few weeks of the last one landing in the shops is infuriating.

Does anyone know the differences between the Mars, Mars Pro and Mars 2 Pro?

Thanks

J
Elegoo's website does not acknowledge existence of any but the plain ol' Mars model, so specifics are left to scouring the various "reviews"available on the web, most of which are glowing "advertorials" from sites parroting the maker's claims.

From what I have been able to gather the Mars Pro (vs. the Mars) offers:
  • A relocated USB port;
  • A milled finish on the build platen, and socket cap screws rather than socket set screws (which have sucked since they were invented) to lock the platen;;
  • A redesigned (less costly to produce and assemble I would speculate) single rail Z-axis;
  • Rubber seals on the cover and a carbon filter which would be nice if you do not have a separate workshop and the printer shares your living space--though I am certain my SWMBO would still not allow it in the house;
  • A "remodeled" resin vat that fits quite nicely in the original machine, indicating it was not an especially radical remodeling;
  • A fashionable "dark Themed" UI on top of pretty much the same firmware;

The description on Elegoo's Amazon storefront claims the Pro has "[A] Matrix light source consists of 28 50Watt UV LED lights..."--which I seriously doubt, as even if 100% efficient, 28 50W LEDs would consume 1400 watts and generate as much heat as an average "run-of-the-mill" electric skillet.

[Image: SillyMarsProClaims-00.jpg]

Quite a bit more than the included 60 W power brick could supply. I suspect the light source is 28 1.75 W LEDs producing in combination 50 W of light (leaving just 10W for all else, which is probably reasonable):

[Image: SillyMarsProClaims-01.jpg]

BTW, this is the same p/s that comes with the Mars.

It should be noted also that the plain ol' Mars has, since at least the "M14xxx" series been capable of printing .ctb files. Chitubox's ELEGOO_MARS.cfg file can be easily modified to enable creation of the [i].ctb[/i files.

I have not found any real reviews of the Pro 2 or the newer wash/cure station to have much to say re: same. It would seem from it's nomenclature though that the Pro "Monochrome" use a monochome LCD shutter which should make for shorter exposure times.
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com
Sorry Cliff,

What you found is for the Mars Pro, that’s what I have. The new one is the Mars 2 Pro.

Elegoo posted some info today:

https://twitter.com/elegoo_official/stat...49472?s=21

Cheers

Jason
Cliffyk Wrote:"From what I have been able to gather the Mars Pro (vs. the Mars) offers:"

(08-21-2020, 08:05 AM)JasonsBigBox Wrote: Sorry Cliff,

What you found is for the Mars Pro, that’s what I have. The new one is the Mars 2 Pro.

I thought that was what I said when I referred to it as "the Mars Pro"?

Quote:Elegoo posted some info today:

https://twitter.com/elegoo_official/stat...49472?s=21

Cheers

Jason

I don't "twitter"--too old for that. When I was in Junior High the adolescent girls "twittered" incessantly "in home room", sometimes to the point that the entire class had to "stay after"--In 60+ years have not been unable to overcome the stigma the word creates in my mind...
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com