Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nothing But Trouble With Chitubox From the Get Go
I don't know why this slicer has to be so graphics intensive as to seemingly require cutting edge, near gaming system graphics capabilities, but I have had nothing but trouble with Chitubox since I got this Mars. 

I am trying to open certain high res models in the lastest Chitubox v1.6.5.1 on three different computers, all running Windows 7 (and one running Linux, but that is a whole nother issue that has been ignored here). On two computers, the program will seemingly load the model, but then it will not show a respresentation of the model on the screen. I can slice it and it seems to do that, but I can't move, scale, or support the model at all. On the other computer, Chitubox just crashes when I try to load it. This happens on several models, all high res, while smaller models load fine.

I can't upload the files here, so I uploaded them to my server and you can see them there.

Spock_hires [crashes/doesn't show] - www.RobotsAndComputers.com/temp/PlaKit_StarTrek_SPOCK_HIGH_RES.stl.zip

Spock_lowres [loads fine] - www.RobotsAndComputers.com/temp/PlaKit_StarTrek_SPOCK_NO_BASE.stl.zip

www.RobotsAndComputers.com/temp/biker_girl.with_base_fixed.stl.zip

I need to clarify something. The HI_RES Spock, does kind of show (unlike some models - like the biker_girl - that just don't show at all), but only the base shows up. Others in other forums have already verified that the files are fine (and I had no doubt of that) but no one has been able to tell me WHY some files work fine in Chitubox and others do not for me. 

I have already tried older and newer versions. I've tried enabling graphics compatibility mode and disabling thumbnails. I am at my wit's end. If I can't get a slicer to work and anything, then this printer is of no use to me. Sad Any help will be greatly appreciate!
i can open and slice all the files fine - please tell us your pc-hardware (processor, RAM, graphiccard + memory)
i think, it is not a problem of Chitubox and not a problem of the printer
All three files open and slice fine for me too. I am running Chitubox 1.6.5.1 on an older home-built machine configured as show below:

[Image: MN01Config-00.jpg]

Absolutely nothing exotic...
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com
(08-21-2020, 05:33 AM)fromFDMtoSLA Wrote: i can open and slice all the files fine - please tell us your pc-hardware (processor, RAM, graphiccard + memory)
i think, it is not a problem of Chitubox and not a problem of the printer
System A: i5-2520M CPU @ 2.5gHz / 4 gb RAM / Intel HD Graphics 3000 / 64-bit Win 7
System B: Celeron 900 CPU @ 2.2gHz / 2 gb RAM / Mobile Intel 4 Series Express / 64-but Win 7
System C: Core i3 CPU M330 @ 2.13GHz / 4gb RAM / Intel i915 / 64-bit Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

On A, the hi res models load, but either don't show completely or don't show at all. \
On B, the hi res models crash the program.
On C.... that's a whole different problem.
I have never been impressed with Intel's onboard GPUs, my workshop machine is a Dell Studio 540 that has an onboard Intel GMA X4500HD chip. I got it used a few months ago and could not get Chitubox to function properly (with Linux Mint 20)--finally gave up and slapped in a 2 GB PNY GEForce GT 710 based card, no problems--using whatever drivers Mint 20 chose to install.

The math behind processing the mesh files is pretty intense, Chitubox (and FreeCAD and others) offloaded it to the GPU...
-cliff knight-
paladinmicro.com
(08-21-2020, 10:40 PM)cliffyk Wrote: I have never been impressed with Intel's onboard GPUs, my workshop machine is a Dell Studio 540 that hasan  onboard Intel GMA X4500HD chip. I got it used a few months ago and could not get Chitubox to function properly (with Linux Mint 20)--finally gave up and slapped in a 2 GB PNY GEForce GT 710 based card, no problems--using whatever drivers Mint 20 chose to install.

The math behind processing the mesh files is pretty intense, Chitubox (and FreeCAD and others) offloaded it to the GPU...
I've never had any issues with FreeCAD and I use it daily. These are all laptops, though, so a different graphics card is out of the question. What I still find odd, though is that some models work fine while others do not.
With Linux you can launch Chitubox from a terminal session and it will spit out all sorts of progress and error data--that's how I found the Intel chipset did not fully support the OpenGL specs Chitubox (actually QTx) wanted¹.  I have not used Windows in nearly 20 years, don't know if launching it from a "command window" will do the same.

-------------------------------
¹ - My "jury" is still out on QT, I find numerous incompatible version and other issues that can be troublesome to sort though. Release of new versions lacking backward compatibility seems commonplace for them. I do not remember with which app, but with some QT4 based version I use all the time (might have been MasterPDF?) upgrading to QT5 broke it--had to wait for the publisher to compile a new version...
-cliff knight-
paladinmicro.com
I have open without problems the Hires model in Linux.

Dell Precision 4500

But with a Dell  Optiflex and Win7  and integrated Intel video board , no way to even start Chitubox.
(09-01-2020, 10:04 PM)lucamax Wrote: I have open without problems the Hires model in Linux.

Dell Precision 4500
So the 4500 will run Chitubox and open that. Is this the same computer - https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Precision-Pr...B00NA7SBCE ??

Looking to get something that will run this program correctly. I really appreciate your reply!
Yes it is the same computer , it has the FX1800 Nvidia