Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is recommended support size?
How do you decide which support size (Small, Medium, Large) to use?

I've used small and medium.  Medium seemed too hefty for what I've been doing, but small has produced some broken support ties in a couple of cases.  Is there a general rule of thumb on which to use (other than - if it breaks use a bigger one)?
Not entirely an answer to your question; however i have found that considering them as "hangers" (see my posts here and here), not "supports"--loaded in tension rather than compression--helps me in selecting position and size for same; and orientation of the model to attain better outcomes...
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com
I haven't really bothered to adjust the actual size of supports. At default settings, I haven't had much success with "Light" in auto generated in chitubox. However, in Prusa Slicer, the supports do seem fairly light and auto generate pretty well. On a pretty complex model, I will auto generate supports in Prusa, export with supports, import into Chitobox and auto generate more medium supports. That combination seems to work very well for me. If the model isn't overly complex, I've been running just Prusa supports with no issues also.
Huh.  Thanks to both of you for your replies.  I agree with the viewpoint that 'supports' are really hangers and their main (whole) purpose is to fight off the suction of breaking the print free from the FEP sheet.

Interesting idea using a hybrid of Prusa and Chitubox slicers.  I haven't used the Prusa slicer for the resin printer.  I'll give it a try.  Thanks for the tip!