Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saturn knocking noise on 1st few layers
Hello,

I just received my Saturn printer.  I levelled the bed using the cardboard sheet as recommended.  I ran the rook test prints they both turned out good. 

The issue I have is I am hearing a knocking noise every time the bed moves down to its layer position.  This noise only occurs on the first few layers then goes away.  Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.  I did check all the screws on the Z axis to make sure they were all tight... they were.  

Thanks,
my elegoo mars is presenting a similar problem, however it is when the platform rises that the noise occurs ...
I will check if the Z axis screws are tight.
(02-19-2021, 11:34 AM)Jimbee Wrote: Hello,

I just received my Saturn printer.  I levelled the bed using the cardboard sheet as recommended.  I ran the rook test prints they both turned out good. 

The issue I have is I am hearing a knocking noise every time the bed moves down to its layer position.  This noise only occurs on the first few layers then goes away.  Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.  I did check all the screws on the Z axis to make sure they were all tight... they were.  

Thanks,

I think that might be the homing switch. Mine does it as well, the Saturn has a physical homing limit switch so it knocks for the first few layers.
(02-27-2021, 06:20 PM)bitGnome Wrote:

Thanks,

I get the same thing.. To me it's the stepper motor skipping because the build plate is bottoming out...  I was reading about z calibration in the mars section and maybe I need to do that however I hate to lift the talbe up because for me that means stuff no longer sticks... I am noticing my z height is short so that's a clear sign first few layers are being smooshed.
You must calibrate the print platform--do nou use the instructions floating about the web (including here)--this is the procedure from the latest Saturn Owner's Manual:

[Image: SaturnPlatenAdj-00.jpg]

When done tightening the clamp screws, do not manuaally raise the platen or press the "Set Z=0" button (which sets a "logical" zero position different(usually higher) from the real zero position...

(02-27-2021, 06:20 PM)bitGnome Wrote:

Thanks,

I think that might be the homing switch. Mine does it as well, the Saturn has a physical homing limit switch so it knocks for the first few layers.

All Elegoo printers have a hardware LED/photo-diode limit switch, with a "flag" at the base of the trolley to interrupt the light between the LED and the phpto diode to signal the firmware that the absolute lower limit of the Z-Axis travel has been reached. The calibration procedure (see my other posting here) must be performed so that the build platform does not "ram into" the LCD shutter when the printer moves the trolley to that lower physical zer0 position--Which it will always do so as to "get it's bearings" when starting a print job.

If your stepper motor is cogging at the lower limit of the platform's vertical position it has not been properly adjusted (note: this can damage the LCD screen if it happens too often).
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com