Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's not actually UV...
(08-09-2020, 01:58 AM)cliffyk Wrote:
(08-09-2020, 01:41 AM)Umpa Wrote: I know the form 1+ had an upgraded laser, but never really looked at what wave length either form1 or + output.

FWIW here is a data sheet for some Makerjuice G+ that we were using at the time - notice the graph how absorbance drops off a cliff towards the 400nm range.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1224/0...9945133065

It might be that they can't make a photosensitive resin that is not 'wideband' so to speak.

Now I tried this G+ in the mars, and the results were not good.

Great information, thank you for sharing it. By that graph it is not at all surprising the G+ resin did not work well in the Mars.

Currently the photo-initiators used in 3D Printing resins are by their basic nature "narrow-band" responsive however with chemists being the incurably curious lot they are that might change.

As I have stated elsewhere I suspect selection of the 405 nm curing resin spec for these "happy-homeowner" consumer grade printers was heavily influenced by the relatively benign characteristics of that wavelength.  There is no telling what sorts of horror stories would evolve if these machines used 370 nm real UV light...
Oh I totally agree with you, there would be a huge amount of people in eye hospital otherwise.  What I don't understand is that G+ was supposed to be compatible with the form 1 - which used a 405nm laser.
(08-22-2020, 12:46 AM)Umpa Wrote: Oh I totally agree with you, there would be a huge amount of people in eye hospital otherwise.  What I don't understand is that G+ was supposed to be compatible with the form 1 - which used a 405nm laser.

I have found many times over the years that manufacturer's claims of "supposed to be compatible" do not always result in "is compatible"...
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com
(07-21-2020, 01:14 PM)Umpa Wrote: I suppose it also means that resins that were made for other systems that do use UV like the Form 1 for example will require crazy exposure times, and might not work at all.

Its not technically UV but you still don't want to be staring at it for any length of time.

I wonder what will be invented in another 5 years - maybe some kind of powder system...

I've seen powder based 3D printers already some 15 years ago in a company I was working. It was used to print dummy prototypes of devices... It was a huge device (also a build volume of some 50x50x50 cm) and crazy expensive. It could even do multicolor prints. However, the z resolution wasn't as good as with todays resin printers (comparable to FDM) and the colors were not very vivid. I don't know the details of what sort of powder it was though. Probably some sort of plaster.