Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New printer shipped with LCD protective plastic?
Hi there,

Same thing just happened to me as OP and Elegoo was nice enough to send me a new LCD as well, which is currently in shipping. In preparation for the new LCD I decided to remove the old one, only to find that there was a clear plastic sheet that was only held on by the black tape.

I keep reading that this is polarization film, but it really does not seem like it to me. It came off extremely easily and the LCD appears to work just as fine without it as it did with it. In fact, holding the clear sheet in front of my phone, monitor, or the Elegoo LCD, has no effect on it no matter which orientation I hold it at. Maybe I don't know enough about polarization, but my polarized sunglasses clearly affect the image unlike this clear sheet.

Here are some photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/zkELzRvWkTp4JKsn7

I am interested in replacing the sheet with a thin screen protector, if it turns out that's all it was in the first place.

Thoughts?
Protective films are easily removed--the polarization layer is not--it has to nicked and/or scraped at as the OP of this post indicated.
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com
(04-10-2021, 07:02 PM)cliffyk Wrote: Protective films are easily removed--the polarization layer is not--it has to nicked and/or scraped at as the OP of this post indicated.
I've read and re-read this thread and it sounds to me like the OP removed the same thing I did, which looks not to be a polarizing layer. Seems like he discovered the layer by scraping but that scraping wasn't needed to remove it, and that it came off cleanly.
(04-10-2021, 07:18 PM)TechnicallyReal Wrote:
(04-10-2021, 07:02 PM)cliffyk Wrote: Protective films are easily removed--the polarization layer is not--it has to nicked and/or scraped at as the OP of this post indicated.
I've read and re-read this thread and it sounds to me like the OP removed the same thing I did, which looks not to be a polarizing layer. Seems like he discovered the layer by scraping but that scraping wasn't needed to remove it, and that it came off cleanly.
Hey!
Glad to hear I'm not the only one with issues. I received my replacement screen from Elegoo and have to say their customer service is amazing. I also ordered 2 more screens off Amazon once they were finally available.
I also managed to order 3 more LCD edge sealing tape sets off Amazon once I found them.

I set up my printer again (had to put it away for a couple weeks) and plugged it in. I did the image test and saw the ELEGOO image you posted pics of. I took the damaged clear screen I peeled off and held it up to the original LCD screen and it had no effect, no matter how I turned it. I'm wondering if this was actually a screen protector and not a polarization film?
Yes, it was mildly difficult to peel off, but it wasn't too hard.

I'll look how to post images to this site to show you what I have.
Every time I google replacement polarization filters it seems anything I find is slightly tinted. What I have is completely clear.

I'm thinking of sealing the edge of the original screen with a good tape, just in case of leakage, and doing a test print to see if everything works. If it doesn't, I'll just replace it.
More to follow.
(04-10-2021, 07:55 PM)Helotech Wrote:
(04-10-2021, 07:18 PM)TechnicallyReal Wrote:
Hey!
Glad to hear I'm not the only one with issues. I received my replacement screen from Elegoo and have to say their customer service is amazing. I also ordered 2 more screens off Amazon once they were finally available.
I also managed to order 3 more LCD edge sealing tape sets off Amazon once I found them.

I set up my printer again (had to put it away for a couple weeks) and plugged it in. I did the image test and saw the ELEGOO image you posted pics of. I took the damaged clear screen I peeled off and held it up to the original LCD screen and it had no effect, no matter how I turned it. I'm wondering if this was actually a screen protector and not a polarization film?
Yes, it was mildly difficult to peel off, but it wasn't too hard.

I'll look how to post images to this site to show you what I have.
Every time I google replacement polarization filters it seems anything I find is slightly tinted. What I have is completely clear.

I'm thinking of sealing the edge of the original screen with a good tape, just in case of leakage, and doing a test print to see if everything works. If it doesn't, I'll just replace it.
More to follow.

I'm thinking of doing the same. I haven't found the tape yet, though. Maybe I'll try using electrical tape tomorrow. Either way I'll follow up as well!
I was thinking of using electrical tape as well. I'll use you as the guinea pig LOL
I will install a new screen for now and keep the old one tucked away as I want to get printing.
Even though LCD screens are relatively cheap, I am looking on Amazon for a polarized sheet to put on this one. If I can gain back an LCD with a couple bucks on an after market polarized film, I might as well try.

Incidentally, how do you post pics on this site?
(04-12-2021, 03:55 PM)Helotech Wrote: I was thinking of using electrical tape as well. I'll use you as the guinea pig LOL
I will install a new screen for now and keep the old one tucked away as I want to get printing.
Even though LCD screens are relatively cheap, I am looking on Amazon for a polarized sheet to put on this one. If I can gain back an LCD with a couple bucks on an after market polarized film, I might as well try.

Incidentally, how do you post pics on this site?
The LCD that I purchased before Elegoo offered to send one should arrive tomorrow. After I see what comes with that, I'll try using electrical tape around the edges of the old screen, and see how it goes. I'll probably just do a single test print and whether or not it works I'll put in the new screen and leave the old one aside so that I can look for a new protector for it (if that turns out to be all it needs).

You should be able to add attachments to your posts (between the area you type your post and the buttons to actually submit it). You could also share from Google Photos like I have, or something like Imgur.com which allows anyone to upload photos even without an account. Then just copy/paste the link here.
My replacement LCD arrived and doesn't appear to come with the same clear layer as the I pulled off of the old one. There is a protector with a pull tab but it's clearly labelled to-be-removed. I lifted a corner to be sure there wasn't another layer under that but there appears not to be. If there weren't already bubbles under the protector then I would consider just leaving it attached! 

Anyway, rather than install the new LCD, I left the old LCD installed and reused the old black tape (minus the old scuffed up protector, or whatever it is). I levelled the bed and started a print.

It worked perfectly. 

So I guess this means that newer printers may really be leaving the factory with some sort of protector on top of the LCD? Shame the replacement LCD didn't come with a similar one. The LCD I received today was purchased from Amazon USA. The warranty replacement from Hong Kong should be here in a week or so. Maybe it'll come with something if it's newer. I'll let you know if that's the case or not, although I'm not expecting it to be any different.

In the mean time I'll keep printing with the original LCD and tape and if something interesting happens I'll be sure to update you guys.
My plain ol' Mars screen did have a protective sheet with an obvious removal tab, as I posted earlier in this thread. If you see no such thing you should be good to go...
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com
(04-13-2021, 01:02 PM)cliffyk Wrote: My plain ol' Mars screen did have a protective sheet with an obvious removal tab, as I posted earlier in this thread. If you see no such thing you should be good to go...

The replacement Mars 2 LCD has what you describe. The confusing part is that the original Mars 2 LCD within the printer also had a protective sheet with an obvious tab, and yet, under the black tape was another layer just like it. 

From what I have been able to figure out, most Mars 2 LCDs don't come with that protective layer beneath the black tape. Unless it's a new thing from the factory.