Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting frustrated
So I bought a Saturn in new condition with a Wham Bam flex plate installed.  I've owned and been printing with Elegoo resin printers for over two years so I took the plunge for a larger scale printer for projects.  I can not get this thing to print successful once.  I keep having prints fail to adhere to the build plate for the whole print.  Half the time the rafts wont even stay on the plate.  I removed the flex plate cleaned the build plate and sanded it with 220 grit wet dry.  I using identical settings to my Mars pro 2 which is right next to it and it just repeatedly failing.  Ive replaced the FEP twice aswell.  Models my mars prints flawless completely fail on the Saturn.  I just dont know what to do.  The one thing that is nagging at me is how loud the peel is per layer.  My mars doesnt do that with the same resin and settings.  I followed Elegoos video on replacing the Saturns FEP twice now.  I need advice on what I can try.

Mars Pro 2 Printing models:
[Image: ytEXNpn.jpg]

Saturn failing exact same models:

[Image: wqbLOrU.jpg]
[Image: nConpXf.jpg]
(03-07-2021, 01:43 AM)GAWD! I M WITH YOU.../ 5th day with this brand new Saturn i overpaid (850$) for nd i mon 12th fail in a row i ve tried everything and i own a Mars 2 pro which print flawlessly... i  m still new and only about 18 months printing but this new saturn you would think  would be "better" out of the box..I gave up now after so many fails, i may try again in a week ... but 100% failure rate and its not the levling. or the firmware... settings are default , and i can support a model but   9 out of 12 fails had the bottom layer and support printed but the model always looks like wild coyote splatters on the road.. every single one of them..i tried standard grey, ABS Grey, Waterwash ones and even Siraya they all fail...Frustration is an understatement.irish1983 Wrote: So I bought a Saturn in new condition with a Wham Bam flex plate installed.  I've owned and been printing with Elegoo resin printers for over two years so I took the plunge for a larger scale printer for projects.  I can not get this thing to print successful once.  I keep having prints fail to adhere to the build plate for the whole print.  Half the time the rafts wont even stay on the plate.  I removed the flex plate cleaned the build plate and sanded it with 220 grit wet dry.  I using identical settings to my Mars pro 2 which is right next to it and it just repeatedly failing.  Ive replaced the FEP twice aswell.  Models my mars prints flawless completely fail on the Saturn.  I just dont know what to do.  The one thing that is nagging at me is how loud the peel is per layer.  My mars doesnt do that with the same resin and settings.  I followed Elegoos video on replacing the Saturns FEP twice now.  I need advice on what I can try.

(03-07-2021, 01:43 AM)irish1983 Wrote: So I bought a Saturn in new condition with a Wham Bam flex plate installed.  I've owned and been printing with Elegoo resin printers for over two years so I took the plunge for a larger scale printer for projects.  I can not get this thing to print successful once.  I keep having prints fail to adhere to the build plate for the whole print.  Half the time the rafts wont even stay on the plate.  I removed the flex plate cleaned the build plate and sanded it with 220 grit wet dry.  I using identical settings to my Mars pro 2 which is right next to it and it just repeatedly failing.  Ive replaced the FEP twice aswell.  Models my mars prints flawless completely fail on the Saturn.  I just dont know what to do.  The one thing that is nagging at me is how loud the peel is per layer.  My mars doesnt do that with the same resin and settings.  I followed Elegoos video on replacing the Saturns FEP twice now.  I need advice on what I can try.

The first thing I'd do itget it back to OEM condition--I.e. get rid of the "Wham Bam" thing...
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com
Cliff already ahead of you and sadly it did not change a thing. Latest failure perforated the FEP ( I cleaned the LCD already). I joined the Staurn FB group and I got some good advice. I am gonna try increasing the lift distance to 9mm. I shouldnt have lowered it below 7mm (which is default but that failed twice regardless). It has to do with the vat size and the FEP. PLate needs to be pulled up higher to completely peel from the FEP. Hopefully that fixes the issue.
Did it actually "Perforate" the FEP, or 'tear" it? Perforation implies something was stuck through it.

Is the FEP actual Elegoo OEM film? Last year I got cheap, bought some 3rd party stuff and had problems with cured resin sticking to it and tearing it up.

Increasing the lift is a good idea.
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com
(03-08-2021, 12:18 AM)irish1983 Wrote: Cliff already ahead of you and sadly it did not change a thing.  Latest failure perforated the FEP ( I cleaned the LCD already).  I joined the Staurn FB group and I got some good advice.  I am gonna try increasing the lift distance to 9mm.  I shouldnt have lowered it below 7mm (which is default but that failed twice regardless).  It has to do with the vat size and the FEP. PLate needs to be pulled up higher to completely peel from the FEP.  Hopefully that fixes the issue.
Use Silicon-Grease on the FEP before filling with resin - only a little bit and then with a towel ultrathin of the FEP - that works for me since the Elgoo Mars Pro 2 from last year - no problems with stikking on fep
Did the change in Liftspeed (Botton and Lifting Distance?) help? I have the same issues with my Mars and Saturn now that i use FlexPlates (No Wham Bam). They are quite nice but since them almost all prints fail an get stuck on the FEP early or late in the print.
I clean my Resintank with Window cleaner instead of Iso. Iso washes out the transparency, window cleaner does not. After that i wipe it clean with paper towels and polish with a microfibercloth.

I also noted, that on my Saturn when i print directly on the printbed, i loose 2,2mm height on the model, comperared to the Mars... can i compensate for that other than adjusting the model?
To me it looks like a couple of things might be giving you grief.
I use iso to clean the flex and the vat. In using window cleaner, you are introducing new chemicals to the fep and the vat and it could be leaving a coating on the build plate.
Try iso only.The other thing that sticks out in my mind, is the bottom layer exposure is at 35. 
Now dependant on the brand and colour of the resin can change this figure. Try printing the elegoo rook (small print) and only change the bottom layer exposure to 50. If that works, reduce by 5 increments until it falls off again. Then use the increment above. Beware, the higher the exposure time on these settings the lower the overall life of the LCD.
There are Elegoo recommended settings and unofficial settings from users that users find work better for a range of resins. If I can find them I can link you to them to try.
Well, my problems startet with the flexplates. I sanded them with sandpaper and raised the bottom exposure time form 60 to 75 and it initially worked. Now, almost all fall off early or late in the print on both Mars and Saturn.
I'll clean the tanks with iso and raise the lifting speed... let's see what happens Sad
Iso is getting very expensive.. i susally got 5L from my local apothecary for 5-6 Euros... now they charge me 10€ for a liter... I have to buy that sh*t online now -.- But the cheapest is 18€ for 5L
So, nothinhg sticks anymore. Nada, zip! Removed the FlexPLate (16€ down the drain), relevled the plate, cleaned the vat with Iso, Nada. Cleaned the vat again, releveled again, apllied some silcone grease... nada!

Fuck this!

Everything was fine before i attached the FlexPlate. Now, no printer is printing anymore!